[texhax] General Advice on Combining Documents for a Thesis

Mica Semrick paperdigits at gmail.com
Sat May 29 02:11:18 CEST 2010

Hello all--

I'm not sure if I've replied to this email correctly, so please
forgive me in advance :D

There are a few different ways  I would divide it up, and it depends
heavily on what you need.

1. If you three papers contain cross references to each other, your
easiest bet would be to use the \part sectioning command, and put each
of your three papers in its own part. This way you can reference
between each paper without conflict.

2. Use PDFTK -- this is an open source package than can merge and
split PDF documents. I use it almost every day and love it. This is
useful if your documents are stand-alone.

3. Use the pdfpages package. This will allow you to include the three
seperate PDFs as your first described-- use the commands:
\usepackage{pdfpages} in yoru preamble, then in the document body,
\includepdf[pages=-]{file.pdf} -- the [pages=-] include all pages in
the pdf document, but you can also specify a range of pages like
[pages=3-5]

Good luck!

-M