[texhax] Chinese characters

Lim Lian Tze liantze at gmail.com
Sun May 9 17:25:30 CEST 2010

Hi Chien-leng,

I am very new to TeXShop (version 2.33) and having problems to get Chinese
> characters shown in my final document.
> I've been searching all day long but without any answers.
> Do I need to install any packages? Can someone help me?

(This is assuming you're using LaTeX, I don't use XeLaTeX much.)

If you need only short snippets of Chinese, use the CJK package (as well as
related font packages e.g. cjk-fonts, arphic)

\usepackage{CJK}
% if your file is saved as GB simplified encoding
... as we say in Chinese, \begin{CJK}{GB}{gbsn}路遥知马力\end{CJK}
% if you file is saved as Big5 traditional encoding
... as we say in Chinese, \begin{CJK}{Bg5}{bsmi}路遙知馬力\end{CJK}

But if you're saving as UTF-8 then you need CJKutf8.sty (included in CJK
package):

\usepackage{CJKutf8}
... as we say in Chinese, \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{gbsn}路遥知马力\end{CJK}
or \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{bsmi}路遙知馬力\end{CJK}

On the other hand, if your *entire* document is going to be in Chinese, you
might be better off using the ctexart document class (in the ctex package):

\documentclass[UTF8]{ctexart}

\begin{document}

\section{感想}

路遥知马力,日久见人心。

\end{document}

You'll need to copy some Windows Chinese font files (simsun.ttf, simkai.ttf,
simli.ttf...) to your $localtexmf/fonts/truetype/... directory to use ctex
propertly. In any case, for more help on the ctex package and ctexart.cls,
you'd best ask for help at http://bbs.ctex.org/ (CTEX 论坛). It's a
Chinese-only forum BTW. ;-)

Hope that helps!

- Lian Tze -