[texhax] controlling pdf reader (was Re: beamer and "Read out loud")

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Mon May 3 15:12:37 CEST 2010

On Mon, May  3, 2010 at 14:09 (+0200), Uwe Lueck wrote:

> Tom:

> Tom Schneider <toms at ncifcrf.gov> wrote at 29.04.2010 23:38:29:
>>> I have made a link collection

>>> http://campus.fh-worms.de/~lueck/makeshow.htm

This web page says
	Mysteriously, xpdfopen  for the X Window System, (now) dealing
	with the reloading feature of AR9, was updated on Apr 19,
	2010. The same day, latexmk (see above) was updated.

It's not really mysterious, I saw this discussion going on, the
reference to xpdfopen, and did some updates.

Of possible interest to everyone reading this: I have further updated
the code (with the help of very useful comments and patches from Peter
Breitenlohner) and it now can be used to make AR5, AR7, AR8, AR9 and
xpdf automagically reload a PDF file.  (To make it automagic, you need
to have your system call xpdfopen after doing a tex run.)

It works by looking for the window displaying your tex output and
sending that program the key presses which cause that program to
reload the PDF file.  Thus it could probably be extended to any other
PDF viewer which reloads PDF files via a sequence of keystrokes.

I was going to submit the update today, but since I am sending this
message out, I'll ask for opinions on something first... There is an
accompanying program 'pdfclose' which currently causes AR to stop
displaying the file, but leaves AR running.  I don't see a lot of
benefit of this, but perhaps others do.  If anyone has strong feelings
about what a more useful version of pdfclose would do, let me know.

Cheers.

				Jim