[texhax] controlling pdf reader (was Re: beamer and "Read out loud")

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon May 3 14:09:58 CEST 2010

Tom:

Tom Schneider <toms at ncifcrf.gov> wrote at 29.04.2010 23:38:29:
>> I have made a link collection
>>
>> http://campus.fh-worms.de/~lueck/makeshow.htm
>>
>> about things like the atchange program mentioned in the thread that was
>> started here, maybe other pages (including the UK TeX FAQ) can be
>> updated from material listed there and your ideas become more easily
>> available to other TeX users.
>
> Thanks.  I put links from my atchange and latex page to that.

I have updated it with new informations from answers as here. I now make a distinction between Ctrl-R and automatic reloading (you demanded the latter).

>> Tom Schneider <toms at ncifcrf.gov>, 18.04.2010 18:37:48:
>> >A problem I have been unable to solve is how to get a PDF to reload to
>> >the same page when the file changes.  Alternatively, I would need some
>> >method to control the page of the reader
>>
>> A trivial answer, or a work-around for some, pointed out to me at the monthly Munich TeX meeting: use hyperref's pdfstartpage option:
>>
>>     http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/manual.html#x1-100003.6
>>
>> ... just increment the starting page number once in a while ...
>
> That's interesting.  The problem is of course how to direct the PDF to
> the page that corresponds to the spot I'm looking at in vim.

No, the idea is primitive indeed: as soon as you start working at page 2,

    \usepackage[pdfstartpage=2]{hyperref}

etc. However, here is some magical code from Heiko Oberdiek for "dynamic" use of "pdfstartpage":

    http://www.ureader.de/msg/136213691.aspx

HTH -- Uwe.