[texhax] Underlined text - preferably Courier or equivalent

Don Gingrich gingrich at rmit.edu.au
Mon Mar 8 12:27:31 CET 2010

I've only got my older copies of _A Guide to LaTeX2e_ and
_The LaTeX Companion_ at home where I'm writing this, and I
don't remember seeing this anywhere in any case.

What I am trying to do is to talk about Unix man pages,
and I've noticed that the latest GNU man pages use underlined
all-caps for _OPTIONS_ in the SYNOPSIS, for example or
-F _FILE_

Is there a way that I can generate underlined fixed pitch
type that would look like what a student would see on a
computer screen looking at the page? Part of me suspects
that there should be a way since I cannot be the first person
to want to do this.

Also, it would be brilliant if I could get italic and bold
fixed pitch type for things like the \texttt{-f {\it filename}}
which doesn't work but gives the flavour of what I'd like to do.

Thanks,

-Don
--
Don Gingrich