[texhax] Serbian Cyrillic characters

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 07:21:23 CET 2010

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> On 25 January 2010 Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>
>  > [...]
>  > I also have a patch SerbianC for Babel but it requires Serbian
>  > keyboard and Unicode editor which I have not seen in more than 15
>  > years.
>
> There is Emacs at least.  It supports Unicode and allows you to use
> characters not supported by your keyboard.  You have to select a
> proper "input-method" for Serbian.
>
> I never used Serbian, but if I select
>
>   Options -> Mule -> select input method -> vietnamese-viqr
>
> I can enter Vietnamese characters on a pure ASCII keyboard (in VIQR)
> conveniently: When I type "Ha` No^.i", I see "H?? N???i" on screen.
>
> Emacs provides an input-method called "cyrillic-serbian".  I must
> admit that I don't know how to use it, though.
>
> Emacs is part of any Linux distribution.  The latest version (23.x) is
> preferred because its Unicode and font support had been improved
> significantly.  An up-to-date and ready-to-use version for Windows which
> also provides TeX related extensions can be downloaded from:
>
>   http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/support/Emacs+AucTeX-W32
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Thank you so much for the info. I must admit that using Emacs is
against my religion.  I use nvi which does support Unicode since 2000
or so but I have never used it. It is probably also obvious that I do
not use Linux. I am an OpenBSD guy.

Cheers,
Predrag

P.S. If I have some time next summer I will look at into SerbianC code
and may be try to write a patch which will enable me to use Babel the
way I use it if I write in Russian.