[texhax] Trouble Indexing

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Fri Jan 22 17:34:56 CET 2010

ronaldo,
the ams document classes (amsbook, amsart
and amsproc) already incorporate all the
necessary facilities for indexing, so you
should not
   \usepackage{makeidx}

this is documented, though perhaps not as
clearly as it should be.  i have made a
note that the documentation needs to be
improved the next time we update.

there is one inconsistency that you should
be aware of ... the command \see was
unfortunately defined to produce "see also";
because these document classes had been
used extensively before that was reported,
a new command, \seeonly , was defined to
produce the simple "see".
 						-- bb