[texhax] Defining a new font in Plain Tex

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Tue Jan 12 13:23:09 CET 2010

Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
> and I am now motivated to continue.  The obvious difference
> between Optima and Palatino Linotype is that the former
> is in Type-1 format whilst the latter is in Truetype; are
> there problems (surmountable or otherwise) associated with
> the use of Type-1 fonts with XeTeX ?
There's nothing particular in XeTeX about Type-1 fonts, so I suppose
they must be used in the old way, i.e. with .tfm files, etc.
However, the topic of fonts is rather murky to me (one of the reasons I
really favor XeTeX), and a more authoritative voice should be heard.
Note that a nice introduction to XeTeX is Will Robertson's XeTeX
Reference Guide, where you'll find what I've said and much more
(including dealing with font features).

Paul