[texhax] includegraphics and image scaling

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Sat Dec 11 00:33:33 CET 2010

Yes, many engineers used to take that position regarding software usability
too.  If you use the software incorrectly, it's your own fault if it
crashes, destroys your data, corrupts your hard drive, or whatever.  Then we
started making software that handles exceptions.  The world is a nicer
place.

It's not a matter of wielding clout.  My point about Photoshop is not that
Adobe cares one iota about what LaTeX does.  I'm trying to emphasize that
there will be *very* many files which exhibit this bug.  You can choose to
fail processing these files, or you can give inconsistent results (vis,
pdfTeX vs. XeTeX), or you can try to provide the most useful behavior.
 Engineering is about trade-offs.
.