[texhax] Bibtex, ordering of bibliography items.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 6 01:28:52 CET 2010

On 6/12/2010, at 12:43 PM, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:

>> I have two papers by the same author, both dated 1971.
>>
>> The later paper (which cites the first) gets listed *before*
>> the earlier paper in the bibliography, since its title comes
>> before the title of the earlier paper in an alphabetical ordering.
>>
>> I would like to get the earlier paper listed first.  Is there
>> any simple way to achieve this?  I am using vanilla bibtex
>> and \bibliographystyle{plain}.
>
> Here's an example of what to put in your bib file:
>
> @PREAMBLE{ {\providecommand{\noopsort}[1]{}} }
> @ARTICLE{Rayleigh1,
> AUTHOR = "{\noopsort{Rayleigh}}{Lord Rayleigh}",
> }
>
> N.B. this is easily fond using "bibtex sorting" e.g. in google an is an FAQ.

Thank you. That worked. I must say however that I would not have discerned
that the ``Lord Rayleigh'' example given under the first hit on a Google
search pertained to my problem if I had not had the benefit of your advice
that it did so pertain.  It seemed to be about suppressing unwanted ``prefixes''
like ``Lord'' in the sorting process.  The fact that it also applied to my
problem was, to say the least, unclear.

For the record, what I wound up doing --- and what I think would generally
solve problems of the ilk of that with which I was faced --- was:

	author = "{\noopsort{HawkesA}}{Alan G. Hawkes}",

for the item which I wished to come first in the sort, and

	author = "{\noopsort{HawkesB}}{Alan G. Hawkes}",

for the item which I wished to come second.

Thanks again.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner