[texhax] PostScript output (from XeTeX)?

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 3 16:39:42 CET 2010

Phil,

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> I'm probably baying at the moon, or clutching at straws, or
> whatever, but given the origins of PDF I wonder if there
> might not be some way of putting a PostsScript wrapper
> around a PDF such that the resulting document is fully
> PostScript compliant and processable by a PostScript RIP ?

Can I be so bold as to suggest you visit http://blogs.adobe.com/insidepdf
written by Jim King, Adobe's PDF architect. For you seem to have a
fundamental misunderstanding of what PDF is about. For instance, one
nugget from http://blogs.adobe.com/insidepdf/2007/11 is that PDF was
specifcally designed to be a communications format and *not* a page
description format like PostScript. As such, PDF is basically a container
format and so the natural way around is for a PDF to include its
own reference PostScript representation, should it need to.
Doing things the other way around is just plain silly.

James