[texhax] dvi vs pdf

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Thu Dec 2 20:39:21 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec  2, 2010 at 19:26 (+0000), Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Jim Diamond wrote:

>>Michael,

>>If you think it is a huge job, I think you are running the wrong OS:

>>for i in *.pdf
>>do
>> convert-pdf-to-new-whizzbang-format $i
>>done

>>As the Staples ads say, "That was easy".  :-)

> Even easier in a sane operating system :

> 	C:\> For %f in (*.pdf) do convert-pdf-to-new-whizzbang-format %f

> No need even for a "done" :-)

You said "sane", and yet you have "C:\".
Is this perhaps some local definition of the word "sane"?  :-)

Actually, a reasonable convert-pdf-to-new-whizzbang-format program
would take multiple file arguments, so you would really probably just
say
	convert-pdf-to-new-whizzbang-format *.pdf

It still seems easy.

Perhaps Micheal is just running some just-wrong interface, where to do
something with a file you have to open a file browser window, navigate
to the correct directory (*cough* folder), search for the file you are
looking for, click on it, click on an "Open" button, answer three "are
you really sure" dialogs, and then start the conversion process.  Come
to think of it, that would be a huge job (to say nothing of tedious).

Cheers.
				Jim