[texhax] Can this be done using only LaTeX?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 11:29:04 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Michael Barr <barr at math.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> If you look on p.157 of the paper:
> http://www.tac.mta.ca/tac/volumes/24/7/24-07.pdf
> you will see a picture that was created using, I believe, an eps inclusion.
>  The result is that, unlike nearly all papers in the journal, it is posted
> only in pdf format (the rest are in dvi, ps, and pdf).  There are a number
> of other diagrams that look complicated but all of them are possible using
> xy-pic.

Adjust parameters and redefine colours as needed

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{pgf,tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{decorations.pathmorphing}
%\definecolor{mycolr}{gray}{0.8}

\begin{document}
\begin{tikzpicture}

\draw[gray, line width =4pt] (0,0) circle (1);
\draw[gray,line width =4pt] (2,0) circle (1);

\fill (0,1) circle (.1);
\fill (3,0) circle (.1);
\fill [lightgray] (1,0) circle (.2);

\fill [lightgray, even odd rule] (9,0) circle (1.5) circle (2);
\fill [lightgray, even odd rule] (12.5,0) circle (1.5) circle (2);
\fill [gray] (10.75,0) circle (.2);
\draw (9,1.5)--(9,2);
\draw (14,0)--(14.5,0);

\draw [->,decorate,decoration={snake, amplitude=3mm, segment
length=2mm,post length=1mm}] (5,0) -- (5.5,0);
\node at (5,.6) {Flatten};
\end{tikzpicture}

\end{document}

> Michael