[texhax] SO: What to do with this hyperref note on amsmath?

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:59:49 CEST 2010

Hello,

I put a question¹ on stackoverflow but I seems to get no answers.

It is about a note (copied below) in hyperref README:

,----[ /amsmath/ ]
| The environments equation and eqnarray are not supported too well. For
| example, there might be spacing problems (eqnarray isn't recommended
| anyway, see CTAN:info/l2tabu/, the situation for equation is unclear,
| because nobody is interested in investigating). Consider using the
| environments that package amsmath provide, e.g. gather for equation. The
| environment equation can even redefined to use gather:
|
| \usepackage{amsmath}
| \let\equation\gather
| \let\endequation\endgather
`----

But the space between 'hello' and 'equation' is different in this example:

\documentclass[twocolumn]{article}
\begin{document}
hello
\begin{equation}
a+b=c
\end{equation}

hello
\begin{gather}
  a+b&=c
\end{gather}

\end{document}

So technically gather cannot replace equation. Thus, in a document using
both hyperref and amsmath, what is the best replacement for equation?

Thanks.

Leo

Footnotes:
¹  http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/975/what-to-do-with-this-hyperref-note-on-amsmath