[texhax] latex question- about tracking changes

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 19:03:44 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-04 17:10 +0100, Chandrasekaran, Lakshmi wrote:
> I have question about latex. Is there any way to track changes in the
> text or equations made to a document/manuscript in latex?
>
> Thanks.
> Lakshmi

I see three solutions:

  1. Use LaTeX macros as suggested by Dan. There are a few packages do
     this. Go to CTAN by topic and check them out.

  2. Use external tools to automate. I have heard latexdiff is great.

  3. Some version control tools or editors offer fine-tuned word-to-word
     differences. For example, git diff --color-words v1..v2 and Emacs's
     diff-mode can highlight word differences for a while now.

My favourite is 3 as I am a big fan of git and emacs ;)

Best wishes,

Leo

--
Any Emacs contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow
implementation of half of Common Lisp.