[texhax] Chinese text

mahi mahi2308 at rediffmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:39:53 CEST 2010

Hi Reinhard

Thanks for the reply.

I installed the emas and choose the option as per your instruction, i am able to select chinese language, but unable to insert any chinese characters from this editor, please suggest.

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 04:09:57 +0530  wrote
>On 2 August 2010 bill lam wrote:

 > Пнд,02 Авг2010, mahi писал(а):

 > > Hi,

 > > How do i enter the chinese text in latex file. (.tex file)? Is

 > > there any editor for this?

 > > Thanks in Advance,

 > I think any text editor (except probably notepad) will be ok. I

 > use vim, ymmv.

I suppose that the question is how to enter Chinese characters on a

keyboard which only supports ASCII.

Mahi,

you need at least a program which maps multiple keystrokes on an ASCII

keyboard to Chinese characters. There are different programs

available for different operating systems but I never used one of them

and thus can't advertise a particular program.

A cross-platform approach is to use Emacs. Emacs handles such things

internally. You have to select an appropriate "input method" for

Chinese. In the menu bar, select:

 Options => Mule (Multilingual Environment) => Select Input Method

Then type the word "chinese" (without the quotes) and press the

key. Emacs displays a list of known input methods for Chinese then.

I don't understand Chinese, so you have to find out yourself which

input method is appropriate for you. And as Bill already said, you

have to be familiar with at least one Chinese input method.

Another advantage of Emacs is that a single keystroke is sufficient in

order to toggle input methods. Quite convenient if you have Chinese

and Cyrillc in the same file.

Regards,

 Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha       Phone: +49-511-3373112

Marschnerstr. 25

D-30167 Hannover           mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de