[texhax] can't produce a footnote within a footnote using the manyfoot package in Latex

George Colpitts george.colpitts at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 20:26:00 CEST 2010

Here is my attempt to produce a footnote within a footnote using the
manyfoot package in Latex:

\documentclass[12pt]{book}

\usepackage{manyfoot}
\DeclareNewFootnote{A}[Alph]

\begin{document}

before the war\footnote{outer footnote\footnoteA{nested footnote}}
 after
\end{document}

However I only I get one footnote, numbered with a superscript 1 and
at the end of it a superscript A promising but not delivering the
nested footnote:

1 outer footnote A

What I expect for footnotes is two footnotes, i.e.:

1 outer footnote A

A nested footnote

I have read the manyfoot.pdf documentation but can't figure out how to
do this. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any simple examples.

Thanks
George