[texhax] Strange formatting.

Axel Freyn axel-freyn at gmx.de
Wed Apr 14 16:45:43 CEST 2010

Hi Iraj,
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 04:59:58PM -0500, Iraj Kalantari wrote:
> But, if we use
>
> {\Huge {Dear brothers: I think that God has made us apostles the most
> abject of mankind.  We experience hunger and thirst, we are naked, we
> are roughly handled, and we have no fixed abode ... They curse us and we
> bless.  They persecute us and we suffer it ... They treat us as the scum
> of the earth, the dregs of humanity ... to this very day.}}
> \normalsize
>
> the problem exists and is *not* repaired after the insertion of a blank
> line in the same spot. (Same with the inner pair of braces removed.)
You just have to add the blank line at the right place - that is: BEFORE
you close the outer braces :-)
My explanation:
{\Huge ... }
limits the size-changing by "\Huge" to the text in the braces.
After the closing braces, you implicitly change back to "\normalsize"
(it is NOT necessary to add \normalsize explicitely in this situation).
Thus, also if you write:

{\Huge {... day.}}

\normalsize

, TeX changes the font size back to "normalsize" after the "}". This is
however - as already discussed - the end of the first paragraph, which
influences \baselineskip as used in the first line...

TeX will render your text "correctly" (that is: as expected), when
writing:

{\Huge {... day.}

}

or
{\Huge {... day.}\par}

-- in these two examples I end the paragraph explicitly while the font
size is still \Huge.

Axel