[texhax] Strange formatting.

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Tue Apr 13 23:20:29 CEST 2010

Thanks for the responses, and I'll have to think about them.  I fail
think that the lack of any descenders in the first line is the real
cause of the problem.  Having to replace "Dear" with "Deary" is contrary
with what I regard as the basic philosopy of LaTex.  On the other hand,
having to add a blank line before the \normalsize (which worked very
nicely, thank you) smacks a little of a magic wand, At least at the
moment I cannot understand the explanation, I'll have to mull on that one.

Given my limited experience with LaTex (three or four years), I hardly
dare to imply that this must be a bug.  However, given the documentation
I have read, I am inclined to regard anything after the \Huge command as
being formatted accordingly, regardless of descenders. Once you turn on
that effect it remains in power, until some other command changes that
attribute for the formatting of the text.  The fact that I would have to
to do something  (completely illogical in my eyes) at the very END of
that particular section to get everything right in the BEGINNING of that
section, is in my eyes completely illogical.  And very confusing for
users.  I have to add that my experience with programming goes back at
least forty years.  I have generated many bugs of many different kinds.

Sorry, I regard this as strange behavior of the LaTex system.  I am
inclined to think this is a bug.

Tom