[texhax] alignment of parbox and fbox

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Wed Sep 9 01:56:59 CEST 2009

On 09/08/2009 08:55 AM, bill lam wrote:
> Thanks to Lars, hh, Uwe for help.  I can get a perfect alignment now.
>
> I learn latex by reading the book 'A Guide to Latex' by Kopka and Daly
> (the 1993 edition),  There are no \vphantom or \strut mentioned in that
> book.  I guess that are new commands introduced later.

\vphantom and \strut are basic parts of plain.tex, and go back to the
1980s, probaby even to TeX78.  This is a warning not to neglect the
index of the TeXbook.  It is very hard to get consistent spacing in
either horizontal or vertical mode if you don't have the resource of
these two macros.

Pierre MacKay