[texhax] Difficulty with using PCTeX to compile a .txt file inUnicode

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Sat Oct 24 14:32:44 CEST 2009

> Recently, I have developed a way to make typing a TeX style document
> relatively easy.
> I did that by using the facility Autocorrect in Microsoft
> WORD.
>
> This allows me to write the command for say an integral with
> both upper and lower limit by simply typing (in WORD) int; or
> alpha by typing a2, or beta
> by typing b2, or prime by typing  pr etc. When you do that in
> WORD the
> augmented Autocorrect facility will type in the document \int
> or \alpha, or
> \beta  or \prime etc.
> When the typing of TeX style file  is completed I use the
> Save As command in
> WORD. But the options
> I am offered do not allow me to use this file in PCTeX to
> produce a dvi or pdf  file.
>
> The only version I see in the Save As dialog box, that preserves the
> appearance of the file, and which I have used,  is Unicode,
> which lists the file as xxx.txt.

I have Word for XP and the "save as" dialogue asks me first the file type: I
choose .txt but actually call it, say, myfile.tex,  I then a get another
dialogue box that, amongst other things, allows me to choose the encoding,
which I leave as Windows (default) and I don't touch anything else.

The resulting file works just fine with LaTeX.

Cheers,  Phil