[texhax] correct spacing between adjacent quote marks

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Oct 19 07:57:07 CEST 2009

On  18 Oct, 2009, at 19:43, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> On 18 October 2009 P. R. Stanley wrote:
>
>> Hi folks
>> First off
>> thanks for the help with the previous thread.
>> The question concerns the correct amount of horizontal spacing
>> between a single quote and a double quote mark. for example,
>> ``\thinspace`bla bla'\thinspace''
>> `\thinspace``rabit rabit rabit''\thinspace'
>> or is it
>
> \thinspace is a bit too large, IMO.

Of course one can make additional kerning spaces à la \thinspace. I
usually use two extra positive thin spaces:

\def\fino{\kern 0.1em }
\def\finito{\kern 0.05em }

(\fino from Spanish ``thin'' and \finito from ``very thin'')

and one negative:

\def\finoneg{\kern -0.1em }

In (La)TeX, \thinspace is defines as {\kern .16667em }. The space
between the dimension and the closing bracket *does* matter.

Best,

Axel