[texhax] New Bibtex style needed for citing datasets

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Mon Nov 2 14:17:22 CET 2009

> I'm attempting to create a new bibtex style that includes
> support for data.  I think I can create the style but am
> having difficulty figuring out how to have the *.bst file
> found when I refer to it in a \bibliographystyle(cca.bst) statement.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to refer to a non-standard *.bst file?
>  For example, I tried
>
> \bibliographystyle('/Users/hellyj/cca.bst')

Well, it's hardly a complete path, is it?

> and that didn't seem to have any effect: positive or negative.

First of all, this is something of an FAQ. And it is dealt with in the FAQ
linked at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, in general, you should construct a parallel TeX Directory Structure
(TDS).
Under Unix-like systems this is usually under /usr/local/share/texmf, for
MiKTeX it might me under C:...\localtexmf.
For BibTeX style files, the TDS should contain the subdirectory
...texmf/bibtex/bst or ...texmf\bibtex\bst.

In either case you must use the wizard provided (I'm afraid I can't remember
what it's called under Linux) to make sure the new files added are known to
the system - and then update the filename database (this last step is
important).

Cheers,  Phil