[texhax] vertical setting of binary symbols

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Thu May 21 17:41:23 CEST 2009

I am having trouble creating a good version of the composition symbol
(if one exists, I'd like to know).

I find \circ alone a bit too big, so am using \mathsmaller{\circ}.  In
response to an earlier posting, I
expanded this to \mathbin{\mathsmaller{\circ}}, which gives a
reasonable horizontal spacing.  But I am observing a
different problem:  the code
***********
\newcommand{\compose}{\mathbin{\mathsmaller\circ}}
**********
results in a vertical spacing which is constant, but doesn't look that
way:  when the
surrounding functions are lower case, it looks fine, but with upper-
case function names
there is the illusion that the circle is nearly at floor level:
apparently it is centered (vertically)
on the height of a lower-case letter, and so does not appear centered
when the surrounding
letters are upper-case.  (see attached output below)

I use \vcenter,
but the code
************
\newcommand{\compose}{\mathbin{\vcenter{$\mathsmaller\circ}$}}
************
leads to crazy behavior:  in some instances, the function following
the \compose symbol is either
tabbed very far to the right, or even appears on a new line.

Is there a way to control this so that with upper-case function names
the composition symbol
appears higher?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics