[texhax] vertical placement of symbols

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Tue May 5 01:27:39 CEST 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Zbigniew Nitecki wrote:

> To create the symbol for composition of functions, I have the following code
>
>> \newcommand{\compose}{{\scriptstyle \circ}}% composition symbol
>> \newcommand{\comp}[2]{\ensuremath{#1\compose #2}}% composition by function
>> name
>
> This works fine, except that the circle is not vertically centered---it is
> too low.  How do I adjust it?

There seems to be nothing wrong with the \emph{vertical} positioning of
the \compose, but the \emph{horizontal} spacing between the operation and
the operands not very correct, since \compose is not defined to be a
binary operator. The modification

   \newcommand{\compose}{%
     \mathbin{\scriptstyle \circ}}

should do the trick.