[texhax] penalties

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Fri May 1 05:26:33 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 02:49:56PM -0400, Tom Sgouros wrote:
>   {\hyphenpenalty5000 Text of offending paragraph.}
>
> But that seems to have no effect, whatever I set the value to.

Those settings are applied to a paragraph.  In your case, the new
settings are reverted to their original values at the end of the
group, before the paragraph ends.  So you should end the paragraph
while the new settings are still in effect:

    {\hyphenpenalty5000 Text of offending paragraph.\par}

or just

    {\hyphenpenalty5000 Text of offending paragraph.

    }

Best,
Oleg