[texhax] LaTex Error Mesages

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Mar 18 16:22:15 CET 2009

At 16:32 17.03.09, Lars Madsen wrote:
>Jean-Guy Murray wrote:
> > Whenever I compile my input file and have errors in it, these are
> indicated in the Output Latex Profile window and references are made in
> relation to the line number(s) where these errors occur.
> >
> > Even with an input file that is not too long, it is cumbersome to count
> the lines to identify the line refered to.
> >
> > Is there a way to have line numbers of the input file indicated in the
> input file window so one can readily identify the lien refered to?
> >
> > I am using TeXnicCenter
>
>very well hidden in one of TeXnic Centers configuration menus you will
>find a tickbox to activate line numbers.

I don't know TeXnicCenter at all, but you should look for `options' or
`settings' (or `edit settings' or ...).

Very generally, there are three kinds of accessing line numbers in editors:
1. You may find a `go to' function in some menu where you can enter the
line number where to go to.
2. The file content window may have a column displaying the numbers of the
lines displayed (to be activated in the settings).
3. The window may display somewhere the line number where the cursor is
(plus the number of the character in the line). This may be in some "status
line", and it may be necessary to *activate* displaying that "status line".
The format of the line number may be cryptical, it may be necessary that
somebody points at it with his finger so you realize that it's the line
number ...

-- Uwe.