[texhax] Is there a way to change how LaTeX handles undefined commands?

Gray Calhoun gray.calhoun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 07:05:15 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,
  I'd like to be able to change the way LaTeX hanldes undefined
commands in a particular document, preferably from within the document
itself but something that works as a command line argument would be
fine too.  In particular, I hope to do the following: suppress the
error that comes from the undefined command, print the command
verbatim in the output document (ie \badcommand would be printed in
the dvi file with a leading backslash as "\badcommand"), and put an
additional mark in the margin on the same line as the undefined
command.  I realize that this would be pretty strange, but I'm hoping
that it will speed things up when I'm composing the initial drafts of
a paper.  Is it possible to change the error/exception handling within
TeX and LaTeX like this and, if it is, what would be a good source of
documentation to start with?

I'm using TeX Live on Debian, if that makes a difference to the
answer.  My apologies if this is not the correct mailing list for this
question.  Thanks in advance!

--Gray