[texhax] fbox in align environment

Sebastian Canagaratna s-canagaratna at onu.edu
Wed Jun 17 18:12:06 CEST 2009

Phil:

  I am having some problem getting your code to work. i am using
texlive, the latest version. I am unfamiliar with the 3D format you are
using for lengths. I presume this stands for the space occupied by "3D"?
Whatever it is, here is the error message I get:

ERROR: Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).

--- TeX said ---
<to be read again>
l.13 \alignboxedsep=3D1
                       pt
--- HELP ---
If you just got a

      ! Missing number, treated as zero.

error, then this is part of the same problem.  If not, it means that
LaTeX was expecting a length as an argument and found a number
instead.  The most common cause of this error is writing 0 instead of
something like 0in for a length of zero, in which case typing return
should result in correct output. However, the error can also be caused
by omitting a command argument.

Just in case my mailer mangled the code, here is what I am using:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\def\alignboxed#1&#2\endalignboxed{%
  \bgroup
  \fboxsep=3D\alignboxedsep
  \rlap{\boxed{#1#2}}\hphantom{#1\kern\fboxsep}
  \egroup
}
\newlength{\alignboxedsep}
\alignboxedsep=3D1pt
\begin{document}
\begin{align}
  f_1(x) &=3D a+bx,
\\
  \alignboxed
  f_2(x) &=3D a+bx+cx=B2,
  \endalignboxed
\\
  \alignboxed
  f_3(x) &=3D a+bx+cx=B2+dx=B3.
  \endalignboxed
\end{align}
\begin{align*}
  x+y+2    & =3D 1
\\
  2x+3y-4z & =3D 2
\\
  \alignboxed
  3x-2y+z  & =3D3
  \endalignboxed
\\
  \alignboxed
  a & =3D b+c+d
  \endalignboxed
\end{align*}
\end{document}
I will experiment to see whether I can solve it on my own. Since you
have tested it, I presume my mailer introduced some character. I'll try
and track it down. Thanks.

Sebastian