[texhax] Extract equations as EPS from larger doc?

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 11 18:58:10 CEST 2009

I had some reason to look into similar things some years back. My own
notes provide the following summary of what I found, though I'll confess
that I forget exactly how any of them work. Most are geared toward
bitmap output, but perhaps not all.

HTH

Steve

PS As an alternative for something with vector capabilities, I think I'd
be inclined to put the equations on separate plain (pagestyle{empty})
pages, use pdflatex to generate a pdf, then run the result through
pdfcrop to trim all the white space. Finally something from the
pdftoolkit pdftk will split the resulting multi-page pdf into separate
pages, meaning separate pdf's for each equation.

=================================
There are a variety of things that will take in latex and spit out
images (gifs or pngs) that I've discovered. They include:

latex2png (part of latex2rtf)
mimetex
gladtex (which includes a commandline eqn2gif or somesuch)
latexrender
tex2gif

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 04:09 +0100, Philipp K. Janert wrote:
> For a (non-LaTeX) publishing project I will have to
> provide equations as images.
>
> I would like to use LaTeX to set the equations and
> to generate the image files (as EPS).
>
> The main problem is the document management -
> it would be nice to be able to have a single LaTeX
> document, and ideally a clever tool that extracts
> equations as individual EPS files.
>
> Since this seems like a recurring problem, I wonder
> whether somebody knows of a LaTeX macro package
> or other tool that facilitiates this process. I looked on
> CTAN, but did not find anything that seemed suitable.
>
> (I can do this manually, by placing each equation
> on a separate page and then operating with ps2eps,
> but I was wondering whether this problem has already
> been solved in a more general/convenient way.)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Best,
>
> 		Ph.

Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7900
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 711A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs