[texhax] Thesis layout regulations

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Tue Jun 2 11:58:58 CEST 2009

Dorothy Jammins:

> Btw I have yet to hear of a university that accepted a doublesided
> dissertation.

This really surprises me. Here in Norway, doublesided printing is very
common. Why is singlesided printing used?

Most dissertations use doublespacing (or often 1.5-spacing), though,
especially in the humanities. (For maths, most people seem to just use
the LaTeX defaults, or perhaps with abominations like the ‘a4wide’
packages.)

Also, a few years ago, the university I’m at changed to the paper size from
A4 to 240 × 170 mm for PhD dissertations. I think it’s an excellent format,
but too often the original (A4) source material is just scaled down, leading
to a too small actual font size.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer