[texhax] white space problem

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Wed Jul 15 10:27:14 CEST 2009

Donald:

> And that's fine too!  Hmmm, I see now it is an author-year system (I
> just looked it up) whereas cite.sty is mainly intended for numeric
> citations.  That isn't specifically a *problem* but you should probably
> select [nosort,nocompress] options (\RequirePackageWithOptions), though
> using another package as the basis might be better.

\RequirePackageWithOptions[nosort,nocompress]{cite}

crashed:

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.15 \RequirePackageWithOptions[n
                                 osort,nocompress]{cite}

\RequirePackage{cite}
works.

> It is clear
> that \citepunct should be \renewcommand\citepunct{;\ } to allow
> line breaks in the best place.

Ok.

> I had assumed cell.sty was a more complete template for a journal layout,
> rather than just the cite format.  Even the bibliography definition is
> commented out!  I guess it was taken over by the change to \@biblabel
> (great!)

Yes, I simplified it.

> I looked at the author instructions for Cell, and they don't really say
> much about the citation format, just a bit about the bibliography
> (references) format (need 10 authors to use et al!).  Lots about copies
> of consent forms!

Ugh, got to do that tonight ...

> Oh!  Back to biblabel... what you have now will indent the bibliography,
> so it is probably better to use:
>
> \def\@biblabel#1{\hspace{-\labelsep}}

Worked like a charm!!!  I was wondering about that ...

New version is up:

http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/ftp/cell.sty

Thanks for the help!!

Tom