[texhax] need certain amount of room on page

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Fri Jan 30 03:54:43 CET 2009

You want to look up \pagegoal and \pagetotal.

I did the following in a package years ago and it works ok, but the TeX
page-breaking algorithm means there is some fuzziness about what the
bottom of the page actually means and the last time I suggested
something like this, others here didn't think much of it.  You are
warned, but it works for me.

Cheers,

 -tom

\newdimen\IN at spaceleft
\def\IN at pagespace{%
  \ifdim\pagetotal=0pt%
    \IN at spaceleft=\vsize%
  \else%
    \IN at spaceleft=\pagegoal%
    \advance\IN at spaceleft by -\pagetotal%
  \fi}%