[texhax] parenthesis problem in LaTeX

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Sat Jan 17 00:24:32 CET 2009

Aditya:

> I think Reinhard meant
>
> \left( ... part A ring ... \middle)
> \middle( ... part B silent ... \right)
>
> This will make all the brackets of the same height. However, from what I
> remember (and I may be wrong here), \middle does not change the spacing at
> all, so you may need to add spaces before \middle) and after
> \middle(.

\begin{equation}
H =
P_{\mbox{ring}}   \times \left( -\log_2 ( P_{\mbox{ring}})   \middle)
+
P_{\mbox{rinc}}   \times \middle( -\log_2 ( P_{\mbox{rinc}})   \right)
\end{equation}

Yup, that worked!!

An explicit example is always useful to have, it's one of the serious
problems with LaTeX that such working examples aren't always there so
one is left guessing.

Thanks!

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu