[texhax] changing chapter (+ code)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 11 02:11:11 CET 2009

Uwe Lueck writes:
 > "Christian Deindl" <deindl at soziologie.uzh.ch> schrieb am 09.01.2009 14:37:59:
 > > I'm about to finish a report and I want to change the positon of the
 > > chapter-headlines. the default is a large gap between the page and the
 > > headline while I want the headline to start without this gap.
 > [snip]
 > > secondly I want to suppress a pagenumer on the first page of each chapter.
 >
 > Copy this into your preamble and play with `50':
 > [...]

Hi Uwe,
isn't there a macro package available which allows you to determine
how chapter headings are typeset?  At our local TeX meeting someone
had a very similar problem recently.  Hence I think it's an FAQ.  I'm
not familiar with all the LaTeX macro packages available, but I'm
using TeX for almost two decades now and it's no problem for me to
re-define the chapter code.  I solved the problem exactly the same way
you solved Christian's problem.

However, I hope that a macro package is available which allows people
to determine the layout of chapter headings conveniently and we simply
missed it.  If such a thing doesn't exist already, isn't a LaTeX guru
out there who has the skill necessary to provide such a package?

Changing the layout of chapter headings is not trivial, but it's
definitely an FAQ.

I really hope that we are missing something.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25