[texhax] \hline in align environment

Geoffrey S. Knauth geoff at knauth.org
Tue Jan 6 14:58:04 CET 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 23:30, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> \begin{align*}
>       4x+  6y -2z &= -4\\
>        x -y +2z   &=  9\\[-0.2in]
> \underline{\phantom{4x+6y-2z}}&\underline{\phantom{y}}
> \underline{\phantom{-4y}}\\
>        5x + 5y    &= 5\\
>         x + y &= 1
> \end{align*}
> I have used underline and for alignment, instead of using
> \phantom{=} it
> is necessary to use \phantom{y} otherwise the lines don't algin
> horizontally. Similarly the added y in -4y.

Thanks!  I'm sure your two suggestions will be useful to me.  I tried
the following alternative which also worked.  What I found was the =
in the RHS \phantom was not a problem, rather the absence of a y.  If
there's something hanging down on the left, there needs to be
something hanging down on the right.

\begin{align*}
  4x +6y -2z &= -4 \\
   x  -y +2z &= 9  \\[-12pt]
\underline{\phantom{4x+6y-2z}}&\underline{\phantom{= -4y}}\\
  5x + 5y    &= 5  \\
   x + y     &= 1
\end{align*}

Geoffrey