[texhax] Problem with installing addon packages for LaTeX

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Feb 24 07:12:28 CET 2009

On  23 Feb, 2009, at 15:44, Steven Carneiro wrote:

> 	I'm sending this email because I've been having some trouble in
> installing add on packages to my LaTeX core. [...] I have the the
> archive files for these packages, but have been unable to install
> them. I use Ubuntu Linux Hardy Heron, GNOME platform.

First, as a last resource ---LaTeX will always find any .sty file
inside your working directory, that is, the directory of your LaTeX
file (and will always use that first, even if it can find another
version of said file in other directory). So, if nothing else works,
this will.

Next, LaTeX will look into your ~/texmf directory; that is, a texmf
directory at the root level of your Home directory. Put the *.sty
files in ~/texmf/tex/latex/

Finally, the place preferred by many people:

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/

If you use this last directory, you have to open your terminal and type

sudo texhash<return>

in order to update the TeX database, so LaTeX can find them.

Best,

Axel