[texhax] testing the document class

Christian Bird cabird at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 02:12:17 CET 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to define a command that changes it's behavior depending on
whether the class file defines chapters or not.  Is there an easy way to
test for whether a macro is defined?  I'd like to do something like this:

\newcommand{\todo}[2][]
\stepcounter{TodoCounter}
\ifx <\chapter is defined>
\addcontentsline{tdo}{todo}{\textbf{\arabic{chapter}.\arabic{section}-\arabic{TodoCounter}:}
#2}
\else
\addcontentsline{tdo}{todo}{\textbf{\arabic{section}-\arabic{TodoCounter}:}
#2}
\fi
}

Can anyone let me know what the correct way to test for this is?  Thanks!

-- Chris