[texhax] how to use lettergothic?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Feb 23 04:03:15 CET 2009

On  22 Feb, 2009, at 16:43, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Karl Berry said the following at 02/22/2009 03:08 PM :
>>    So could you please explain what
>>    the correct algorithm is?
>>
>> The name used with \font must match (exactly) the .tfm filename.
>> That
>> is the only reliable algorithm.  It is fruitless to try to deduce
>> such
>> names.
>
> Oh... I see; I shouldn't have used
>  \font\rm=ugmr8r
>
> I should have used
>  \font\rm=ugmr8t
>
> (although I don't understand what the "r" and "t" signify; but I see
> that
> one produces the correct result [i.e., with spaces between words],
> whereas
> the other doesn't).

Yes, for me is still a mystery (for example, I seem to remember that I
got in a test better results in TeX using the ``y'' ending tfm font
names for Lucida ---e.g., hlcbt8y, instead of hlcbt8r or hlcbt8t).

But it was really easy to advise you to use `` \font\rm=ulgb8r '' for
lettergothic; I don't have the font, but I downloaded ulg.zip from

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/nonfree/fonts/urw/lettergothic/

uncompressed it, looked at the ulg.map file and saw these lines

ulgb8r LetterGothic-Bol " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<ulgb8a.pfb
ulgbi8r LetterGothic-BolIta " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<ulgbi8a.pfb

So, as said, it was easy ---ulgb8r is the (only?) valid tfm name for
the corresponding Postscript font (*.pfb).

Best,

Axel