[texhax] February 2009 TUG news: conferences, Summer of Code, GuIT, election

tug-news at tug.org tug-news at tug.org
Wed Feb 11 20:14:50 CET 2009

Dear TeX users,

First, the upcoming 2009 TeX conferences:

- BachoTeX 2009 will be held in Bachotek, Poland, from
  April 29-May 3, 2009.  Deadline for abstracts: March 8.
  http://www.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2009/main-en.html

- TUG 2009 will be held at the University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame,
  Indiana, USA, from July 28-31, 2009.
  Deadline for abstracts: April 13.
  Early bird registration deadline: April 27.
  http://tug.org/tug2009/

- EuroTeX 2009 will be held in The Hague, The Netherlands, from
  August 31-September 4, 2009.
  Early bird registration deadline: February 15.
  Deadline for abstracts: April 30.
  http://www.ntg.nl/EuroTeX2009/

In other news:

- TUG will apply to participate in the Google Summer of Code again
  this year; Arthur Reutenauer (GUT president) and I will administer it.
  We will not know whether we are accepted for some time, but Google
  recommends getting started early.  So project ideas are welcome,
  especially from prospective mentors and prospective students.
  http://tug.org/gsoc/

- We are pleased to announce that the TeX development fund matching
  program was again successful.  We matched the available $10,000 from
  our anonymous benefactor in less than five months, due to very
  generous donations from over 50 individuals and organizations.  I'd
  like to highlight the work done by Idris Hamid, of Colorado State
  University, who has successfully advocated for funds for TeX
  development from several different institutions, and was instrumental
  in making the match happen so quickly.
  http://tug.org/tc/devfund/

- We are also pleased to announce that TUG and the Italian TeX user
  group, GuIT, have agreed to offer joint memberships.  Details are on
  the GuIT page, http://www.guit.sssup.it/guit/adesione.php.  GuIT joins
  DANTE, DK-TUG, NTG, and UK-TUG in offering joint memberships with TUG.
  We are happy to be in such good company.

- Finally, election results have been sent separately, and are also
  posted at http://tug.org/election.  No ballot will be needed this
  year.  The main news: welcome to Jonathan Fine!  He will be a new TUG
  board member as of TUG 2009.  As it happens, an interview with
  Jonathan was recently posted in the Interview Corner:
  http://tug.org/interviews/

As always, we appreciate your support,
Karl Berry (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
http://www.tug.org/