[texhax] finding files

david allen texjunky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 21:45:19 CET 2009

I just switched from windows to linux (ubuntu) and have installed texlive
2009.

I have a ~/texmf directory where I have put some bib and sty files.

I have a directory ~/book that contains master.tex. master.tex has things
like
\include{chapter1} \include{chaper2} etc. Now, chapter1.tex resides in
the directory ~/book/chapter1 along with perhaps included graphics files
and related R programs.

I would like to cd to book and have latex find the files in its subsidiary
directories.
I am not keen on moving book to be subsidiary to texmf because there is a
lot of non-tex stuff there.

I am overwhelmed with the Kpathsea documentation and the FAQs weren't
enough help either. Can someone give explicit direction on how to do this?
I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
David