[texhax] Fedora 12: cmr12 font shrunk?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Dec 10 20:46:46 CET 2009

Hi Scott,

cmr12 hasn't changed.  Really.  Absolutely not.

I'm as sure as I can be that it is something in the printing mechanism.
I experienced many things myself (and long since gave up on using the
system spoolers).

Well, actually the above is a lie.  The metrics haven't changed and
never will, but in TeX Live 2009, cmr12.pfb was changed wrt hinting and
a few glyph shape changes from Knuth.  There was no shrinking, though.
(Also I doubt you are using TL 2009 since it was only released a few
weeks ago.)

Attached is one PDF made with the TL'09 cmr12.pfb and another with a
much older (web2c 7.4.5, some ancient tetex) cmr12.pfb.  Maybe it will
help you debug the printing problem which I am 99.99% sure is the
culprit :).

Best,
Karl