[texhax] Inter-sentence space with amsthm

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Aug 5 22:46:20 CEST 2009

[in fact, 4 mistakes, sorry ... and there is another option I read from
Pierre MacKay's remark:     '{\spacefactor=3000} ', difficult to generalize
however ...]

[Please ignore previous again and read this here ... 3 mistakes ... Arial
... actually I need the cursor keys myself in order to count blank spaces
here, even to distinguish '\.' from '\. ']

So I was wrong! ... [stil quoting like '...']

----- on 14:30 2009/08/05 Pierre MacKay wrote: -----
 > Just a slight clarification for the required space after `\.
 > or for any other char number. The space is there to
 > terminate the number, as with all other numbers.
 > If you don't have it, and the next character happens
 > to be a number, TeX goes on evaluating digits,
 > and you get a result that is much too large to be a char number.
 > A good protection against this is {} or enclosing braces.

I was not aware that '\sfcode`\.' behaves just like '3000' w.r.t. ensuing
spaces (TeXbook pp. 269ff. on <normal integer>).

(Instead I thought that '\.' is a control symbol, so according to p. 46 ...)

This means that in order really to produce a space (that obeys
\spacefactor), you have the following options:

     '\spacefactor=3000 \space'
     '\spacefactor=3000\relax\space'
     '\spacefactor=3000{} '
     '\spacefactor=\sfcode`\. \space'
     '\spacefactor=\sfcode`\.\relax \space'
    '\spacefactor=\sfcode`\.{} '

(tested). These fail (immediate '\space' or repeated blank space):

     '\spacefactor=3000\space'
     '\spacefactor=3000 '
     '\spacefactor=\sfcode`\.\space'
     '\spacefactor=\sfcode`\. '