[texhax] Font Mapping

pierre.mackay at comcast.net pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 18:58:31 CEST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Uwe Lück" <uwe.lueck at web.de>
To: "wawan" <wa2n at nrar.net>, texhax at tug.org
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:59:19 AM (GMT-0300) Auto-Detected
Subject: Re: [texhax] Font Mapping

At 03:03 23.07.09, wawan wrote:
>Can I map 2 chars in keyboard refer to 1 char in font table ?. Ex I write
>"HI: in .tex document then the result is char32 after compilation ..

It seems to me that you are speaking of ligatures. They must be declared in
the metafont source, I think. I do not know about virtual fonts which may
be an alternative.

Virtual font are indeed the answer. Combined with the extended ligaturing formulae in PL and TFM, they can do an astonishing job of creating composite characters, though I have never tried to emulate DEK's special trick of allowing the dissolution of ligatures for line breaking. This would be a good way of reintroducing the typesetting refinements from the U+Exxx pages of Unicode into text.

Ligaturing through the TFM mechanisms is how the post-positive accentuation of Ibycus is managed.

Pierre MacKa y