[texhax] URGENT: Will Pay for Written Style File

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Apr 8 20:37:58 CEST 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Sharon Baker wrote:

> Well there you have it.  I didn't mind the whole thesis writing
> process (I'm in the Applied Linguistics Masters program),

Well you should be able to use the APA style then:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/apa/

or MLA:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/mla-paper/

I'm sure that if you just use whichever of the above is the best fit
and add \usepackage{mathptmx} and tell them it was formatted in the
appropriate size of ``Times New Roman'' you'll at least get far enough
for them to give you specific feedback on what needs to be changed.

(Seems to me if they're going to say other styles are acceptable, but
the ASU formatting rules over-ride then they should have a list of
what the exceptions are for each style)

> but I really do loathe that I have to go through this stupid,
> idiotic format approval.

's what happens when one regulates things by committee.

> This has been the worst part of my ASU experience, knowing that I
> have to follow guidelines that are completely absurd.

At one time, each of them had a meaning and purpose, and probably they
intend for them still to have a purpose, but it's lost in ignorant
tradition.

Good luck!

William

--