[texhax] Please, Can You Help with Installation ?

Dicle Ertan dicle.ertan at opsiyonmerkezi.com
Wed Apr 1 18:00:14 CEST 2009

Dear TUG Support,

I am trying to install and then hopefully use LATEX.

I initially went through the document created by Thomas Feuerstack named "The Quickest Way to a TEX System". It is a very carefully prepared document and installation seems very straight-forward when reading the document.
I realized that I need a "ProText Distribution" which should be available in the "Tex Collection DVD".
I became a TUG Member recently and I do not have a "Tex Collection DVD" .

In the Members Site (https://www.tug.org/members/) I read the following:

CTAN is updated constantly with new uploads. However, it's not simple to extract the CTAN subset which is on the TeX Collection DVD. So here is the snapshot of CTAN as a tar file (2.9gb).

I downloaded the snapshot which took me 7hours and 45 minutes...
and unzipped it.

Reading through Thomas Feuerstack's "The Quickest Way to a TEX System", I see that I have to install MIKTEX, TEXNIC CENTER, GHOSTSCRIPT AND GSVIEW in order. However, when I unzipped the above snapshot, I saw that there are hundreds of zipped and unzipped files and I do not know where to start.

I would like to install Latex and start using it as soon as possible.
I would most appreciate if you can help me.
May be I needed to download something else...

I have been in the software business using the Oracle Database, SQL and PL/SQL for nearly twenty-years. I am familiar with software and installation. In this case, I do not know where to start, and which files to use.
I am hoping that I will get help  from TUG Support to start me off.
Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Best Regards,

Dicle Ertan
TUG USERNAME:  dertan8491