[texhax] Question about \skip\footins

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Sep 25 11:08:16 CEST 2008

I'm using the book class with no size option (therefore, 10pt with
12pt baseline skip) and a sty file where I have defined footnotes as

therefore, no rule between main text and footnotes; and

     \setlength{\skip\footins}{1.0\baselineskip plus0.5\baselineskip

therefore I would expect \skip\footins = 12pt, plus 6pt minus 6pt (the
baselineskip of main text is *indeed* 12pt); but if I put anywhere in
my document

     footins = \the\skip\footins

I get

     footins = 10.0pt plus 5.0pt minus 5.0pt

Can someone explain to me why this is so?

Thank you in advance.