[texhax] TexLive 2008

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Sep 24 00:34:26 CEST 2008

Walter S?gesser writes:

 > The distribution of the texlive2008.iso as a LZMA compression is
 > unbearable. A really bad idea. No doubt it compresses better, but on
 > every and each PC/MAC/Linux you have an unzipper ready to run. Rather
 > download 100 or even 500MB more than run after a decompressor.

Dear Walter,
what you say is pure crap.  Sorry.  Do you really need the ISO image?
The preferred way to install TeX Live is to use the network installer.

I could explain why TL-2008 is using lzma compression but I don't see
any good reason to do it.  There is a very good reason to use lzma
compression indeed.  But since you didn't ask but complained quite
impolitely, I'm not willing to waste my time.  Sorry.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25