[texhax] toc: two questions

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sun Oct 26 18:38:09 CET 2008

Victor Ivrii wrote:
> With documentclass memoir I have a couple of questions:
>

> 1) I use concise and detailed toc
>
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{0}
> \tableofcontents*
> \dominitoc
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
> \tableofcontents*
>
> However how I can change the name of toc in the first case from
> Contents  to "Short Contents" ?

\begingroup
\renewcommand\contentsname{What ever new name}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{0}
\tableofcontents*
\dominitoc
\endgroup

> 2) Some lines in the toc are too long and they are broken only when
> the whole width of the text area is covered like
>
> Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah
> Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah
> Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah
>                                       123
>
> while I want to break them automatically as
>
> Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah
> Blah   Blah
> Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah   Blah
>                                 123
>
> Is it possible? Can I specify the length of the toc line (excluding
> page numbers)?

they are governed by what is left over from the left number area plus
the right number area, see the drawing in the memoir manual

> 3) Just if someone remembers: what is a correct order
>
> \chapter[toc title][header title]{title}
>
> or
>
> \chapter[header title][toc title]{title}

try it out, or see the manual, it is all there.

> and for \section - how one can insert [minitoc title] (if it is
> possible to make it distinct from [toc title]

the three argument feature is available for all the sectional macros

> Thank you very much in advance
>
> Victor

/daleif