[texhax] Spacing in equations

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Oct 15 17:45:16 CEST 2008

Prof. Sheila Prasad wrote:
> When I am in equation mode, how do I introduce a space e.g. writing the
> function
>    cosh ax or cosh (ax) ?
> Sheila Prasad

they should do that automatically

    \cosh ax \qquad \cosh(ax)

in the case of the \cosh(ax) no space is needed as the ()'s already
provide the separation.

Note that function names such as cosh should be written in an upright
font, not as $cosh ax$ as that can be interpreted as $c \cdot o \cdot s
  \cdot h \cdot a \cdot x$

amsmath defines a lot of these function name shortcut such as \cosh,
other can be defined uding

Manual spaces can be inserted via \:,\, etc. But one should be a bit
careful and think whether this is actually a good thing to do.

/Lars Madsen
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
University of Aarhus